World No Tobacco Day
Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation, Moka
31 May 2018
On the 31 May 2018, World No Tobacco Day is celebrated. The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2018 is 'Tobacco and heart Disease.'
Tobacco use is an important risk factor for development of coronary heart disease, stroke and other peripheral vascular disease. Despite the harmful effect of tobacco to sound coronary health, knowledge among large sections of the public that tobacco is a leading cause of cardio-vascular disease is paradoxically quite low.
Cardio-vascular disease (CVD) can kill more people than any other cause of death worldwide. Tobacco use and regular exposure to copious tobacco smoke contribute to approximately 17% of all heart mortality. Tobacco use is the second leading cause of Cardio-vascular disease (CVD) after high blood pressure.
It is estimated that every year more than 7 million deaths are attributed to tobacco smoking out of which 900,000 result from non-smokers breathing in dense tobacco-smoking atmosphere. It is indeed revealing that nearly 80% of more than 1 billion smokers worldwide occur in low and middle income countries where the toll of tobacco related health complication and death is considered to be heaviest.
To commemorate the World No Tobacco Day a function was held at 1400 hours at the premise of MBC TV, Moka. The Minister took the opportunity to unveil
'No Tobacco No Smoking' posters and a well-prepared video clip designed and conceived with the assistance of MBC.
He outlined the following measures to prevent tobacco smoking:-
· Need to adopt policy to monitor and prevent tobacco smoking
· Protect people from exposure to tobacco smoke by providing for no smoking, smoke free area at public place, work place and public transport
· Provide assistance to quit tobacco, including counseling by Medical and Health staff on deleterious effect of tobacco smoking habit
· Arrange to disseminate warning about danger of tobacco by promoting plain/standardized cigarette packaging or making use of conspicuous graphic health warning.
· Enforce comprehensive ban on tobacco advertisement
Media and sensitization campaign is being undertaken in Mauritius and Rodrigues to prevent and discourage tobacco smoking for the well-being of the population.
Ministry of Health and Quality of Life 31 May 2018